Frequently Asked Questions About Washington MAST Permit

  1. How long is your online course?
    The course is timed to be 3 hours.

  2. Do I have to take the course all at one time?
    No, you can take the course over days or weeks. Anytime of day 24/7.

  3. Who needs to take a MAST Class?
    The 1995 Legislature passed a law requiring Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) for managers, bartenders and other employees who serve alcohol or supervise the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption at liquor licensed establishments such as: Restaurants, Taverns, Snack bars, Private clubs, Sports/entertainment facilities, Wineries, and breweries with retail sales and on-premises consumption. As well as those who conduct Tastings in Grocery Stores that have the proper endorsement and employees who pour from a tap into a growler for off premise consumption.

  4. How long do I have before I have to have a permit?
    You are required to get the appropriate MAST permit within 60 days of hire. Although those who conduct tastings in Grocery Stores do not have 60 days, they must have a Class 12 MAST Permit before they pour at the tasting.

  5. What type of permit do I need?

    • Class 12 Mixologist Permit.
      For managers, bartenders and anyone who draws alcohol from a tap, mixes drinks with alcohol and is a least 21 years old. As well as those who conduct tastings in grocery stores. Class 12 permit holders are also authorized to perform duties included in the Class 13 permit. Every licensed business where spirits, beer, and wine are consumed on the premises must have at least one Class 12 permit holder on duty.

    • Class 13 Servers Permit
      For servers and ID checkers who are at least 18 years old that carry alcohol to the customer or open beer or wine and pour it into a customer's glass at the customer's table. Class 13 permit holders cannot mix drinks or draw beer or wine from a tap.

  6. What if I’m under the age of 18?
    You must be no less than the age of 18 to serve or sell alcohol in Washington State. However, if you are a minimum of 30 days from your 18th birthday you may take the course and exam, but you will not receive a permit until your 18th birthday.

  7. How long does the class take?
    All classes either by Internet or classroom must be a minimum of 3 hours.

  8. What if I don’t pass the test?
    Once the course is completed, you are required to pass an examination with a score of no less than 80%. If you do not achieve a score of 80% or higher you will be given a chance to retake the exam.

  9. How long is the permit good for?

  10. How do I replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed permit?
    Lost, stolen, or destroyed permits may be replaced by contacting the provider who gave the seminar and exam, or by contacting the MAST program at (360) 664-1727.

  11. I turned 21, how do I upgrade my Class 13 Permit to a Class 12 Permit?
    If a holder of a class 13 permit, wishes to upgrade to a class 12 permit, they must be 21 years of age or older, and have attended a program that is class 12 certified. You can do this by contacting the provider that gave the seminar and exam. Although, the expiration date will remain the same as the original class 13 permit. A class 13 permit holder may temporarily do the duties of a class 12 permit as long as they are 21 years of age. They may not do the duties for more than 30 calendar days.

  12. How do I renew my permit?
    To renew your permit, you must take the class again prior to the permit’s expiration date.

  13. Why do you need my Social Security number?
    RCW 26.23.150 requires that the WSLCB obtain a SSN for each MAST permit holder in order to assist in child support enforcement as required by federal law. State law authorizes providers and trainers to obtain SSNs from permit holders.

  14. What is the DSHS-Order of MAST Permit Suspension?
    In accordance with RCW 74.20A.320, the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services’ (DSHS) Division of Child Support (DCS) certifies and requires the WSLCB to suspend or cancel the MAST permits of non-custodial parents who are at least six months in arrears on child support payments.

  15. What are the penalties for working without a valid MAST permit?
    Selling or serving alcohol at a liquor licensed retail business without a valid MAST permit is a misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than 90 days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than $1,000, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

  16. This course is provided in English only. The "FINAL EXAM" is provided in the following languages English, Korean and Spanish.