• Home

Frequently Asked Questions About AACEA's Online Washington MAST Permit Course

  1. How long is this online course?
    Our MAST Course is timed to take 3 hours to complete. All MAST Classes (either by Internet or classroom) are legally required to be a minimum of 3 hours in Washington State.

  2. Am I required to complete this training in one sitting?
    No, you can complete this training over the course of several days or weeks, anytime of the day, 24/7.

  3. Who needs to take a MAST Class?
    The 1995 Legislature passed a law requiring Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST Training) for managers, bartenders and all other employees who serve alcohol or supervise the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption at liquor licensed establishments such as: Restaurants, Taverns, Snack Bars, Private Clubs, Sports/Entertainment Facilities, Wineries, and Breweries with retail sales and on-premises consumption, as well as those who conduct Tastings in Grocery Stores that have the proper endorsement, and employees who pour from a tap into a growler for off-premise consumption.

  4. How long after being hired do I need to get a MAST Permit?
    In general, you are required to get an appropriate MAST permit (a Class 12 or Class 13 Permit) within 60 days of hire. Those who conduct tastings in Grocery Stores are required to obtain a Class 12 MAST Permit before they pour any alcohol at a tasting.

  5. What type of MAST Permit should I get?
    • Class 12 Mixologist Permit
      For managers, bartenders and anyone who draws alcohol from a tap, mixes drinks with alcohol, or conducts tastings in grocery stores and is at least 21 years of age. Class 12 permit holders are also authorized to perform duties that are permitted with the Class 13 permit. Every licensed business where spirits, beer, and/or wine are consumed on the premises must have at least one Class 12 permit holder on duty.

    • Class 13 Servers Permit
      For servers and ID checkers who are at least 18 years of age and whose duties include carrying alcohol to a customer and/or opening beer or wine and pouring it into a customer's glass at their table. Class 13 permit holders are not permitted to mix drinks or draw beer or wine from a tap.

  6. What if I’m under the age of 18?
    In Washington State you cannot serve or sell alcohol if you are under 18 years of age. However, if you are within a minimum of 30 days from your 18th birthday you may sign up and complete a MAST Permit course and exam, but you will not receive your permit until you turn 18.

  7. What if I don’t pass the test?
    Once the course is completed, you are required to pass an examination with a score of at least 80%. If you do not achieve a score of 80% or higher you will be given an opportunity to retake the final exam.

  8. How long is the MAST Permit good for?
    5 years.

  9. How do I replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed permit?
    Lost, stolen, or destroyed permits may be replaced by contacting the provider you received your MAST Permit from or by contacting the WSLCB MAST Program at (360) 664-1727. If you received your MAST Permit from AACEA, you may order an upgrade by using our online replacement/upgrade form.

  10. I turned 21, how do I upgrade my Class 13 Permit to a Class 12 Permit?
    If a holder of a Class 13 MAST Permit wishes to upgrade to a Class 12 MAST Permit, they must be 21 years of age or older and must have already attended a MAST Program that is Class 12 Certified. You can do this by contacting the MAST Provider you received your Class 13 Permit from. If you received your MAST Permit from AACEA, you may order an upgrade by using our online replacement/upgrade form. Note: the expiration date on your Class 12 Permit will remain the same as the original Class 13 Permit. A Class 13 Permit holder may temporarily take on the duties of a Class 12 Permit holder as long as they are at least 21 years of age, but they may not do the duties for more than 30 calendar days without a Class 12 MAST Permit.

  11. How do I renew my permit?
    In order to renew your MAST Permit, you will be required to take the MAST Training again prior to your permit’s expiration date.

  12. Why do you need my Social Security number?
    RCW 26.23.150 requires that the WSLCB obtain a SSN for each MAST permit holder in order to assist in child support enforcement as required by federal law. State law authorizes providers and trainers to obtain SSNs from permit holders.

  13. What is the DSHS-Order of MAST Permit Suspension?
    In accordance with RCW 74.20A.320, the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) Division of Child Support (DCS) certifies and requires the WSLCB to suspend or cancel the MAST permits of non-custodial parents who are at least six months in arrears on child support payments.

  14. What are the penalties for working without a valid MAST Permit?
    Selling or serving alcohol at a liquor licensed retail business without a valid MAST Permit is a misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than 90 days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than $500, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

  15. This course is provided in English only. The FINAL EXAM is provided in the following languages: English, Korean, and Spanish.