The Keys to Customer Intervention for Texas Alcohol Servers

If you sell or serve alcohol as one of your job duties in Texas State, you are likely going to find yourself in a situation where you will be required to cut someone off who has had a little too much to drink at one point or another.

We know this is not ideal, and the process can be a little uncomfortable if you don’t have much experience, so we put together some helpful strategies for you to use whenever you need to cut someone off in the future. Our goal here is to help you feel more confident in your ability to intervene when a customer has gone past their limit!

There are three keys to customer intervention you can use when cutting off a customer:

  1. Be quick
  2. Be clear & firm
  3. Be consistent

Continue Reading

Louisiana State Acceptable Forms of Identification for Purchasing Alcohol

Hey Louisiana! If you serve or sell alcohol in Louisiana State, you are likely already aware of how imperative it is for you to check the ID of every customer in order to verify they are of age before selling or serving them alcohol, but did you know there are specific types of IDs that are considered acceptable for the sale and service of alcohol? In addition, there are also some IDs that are not considered acceptable for alcohol sales and service.

Let’s take a look at what forms of identification are considered acceptable for the sale and service of alcohol in Louisiana State per the Louisiana ATC:

Continue Reading

Series - Most Common Oregon Liquor Licenses: Learn About the Limited On-Premises Sales (L) License

In order to legally offer alcohol sales and service in Oregon State it is a requirement to first apply for and receive an OLCC Liquor License.

In a previous blog post we discussed the features and requirements to obtain a Full On-Premises Sales (F) License for your establishment. In this post we will go over the features and eligibility requirements of the Limited On-Premises Sales (L) License.

What does the Limited On-Premises Sales (L) License allow?

Unlike the Full On-Premises Sales (F) License which allows the sale and service of all alcoholic beverages, the (L) license only allows the sale and service of beer, wine, and cider. The key word here is limited because establishments with an OLCC (L) Liquor License are limited in what they can sell or serve by not being permitted to sell or serve liquor.

Continue Reading

Liquor Licenses in Florida State – Which Alcohol License do you need?

If you are hoping to become an entrepreneur in the alcohol business in Florida State, you are likely going to need a liquor license in order to legally carry out your vision. In this post we are going to go over seven of Florida’s most basic types of liquor licenses.

There are three overarching Alcohol Licenses in Florida State:

  • A Florida State Alcohol Manufacturer’s License
  • This license allows you to produce alcoholic beverages within Florida State. Breweries and distilleries are common examples of establishments that have a manufacturer’s license!
  • A Florida State Alcohol Distributor’s License
  • This license allows you to sell or distribute alcoholic beverages at wholesale (typically in large quantities at reduced prices) to alcohol vendors within Florida State.
  • A Florida State Alcohol Vendor’s License
  • This license allows you to sell alcoholic beverages at retail. Restaurants and bars are common examples of establishments that have a vendor’s license!

Continue Reading

California Alcohol Sampling at your On-Sale Establishment for CA Liquor License Holders & Alcohol Servers

If you own or work at an On-Sale alcohol licensed establishment in California State, you may want to sample alcohol to your customers at one point or another. Sampling alcohol is a fantastic way to connect with your customers and to introduce them to your products, but they can only be conducted by in-house employees if you have an on-sale alcohol licensed establishment which allows you to sell wine or liquor.

What is a California On-Sale Alcohol License?

This is a CA liquor license which allows you to serve alcohol to be consumed within your establishment. Restaurants and bars are common examples of establishments which hold a California on-sale liquor license.

What is a California Off-Sale Alcohol License?

If you haven’t already guessed, a California off-sale alcohol license is one which allows you to sell alcohol strictly to go. Liquor store and beer & wine shops are common examples of establishments which hold a California off-sale liquor license.

Continue Reading

Arizona Alcohol Sampling Rules in Arizona State for Alcohol Servers/Seller and Liquor License Holders

Sampling alcohol is a fantastic way to win over new customers and is also a great way for alcohol producers to market a new product to their customers!

In Arizona state, there are two types of alcohol sampling permits and they apply to on-sale and off-sale licensed locations, though the specifications vary slightly.

What is an Arizona Off-Sale Liquor License?

An Arizona Off-Sale Liquor License is one that allows an establishment to sell alcohol to go in its original container – think liquor stores, beer & wine shops, grocery stores, etc.

What is an Arizona On-Sale Liquor License?

An Arizona On-Sale Liquor License is one which allows an establishment to sell and serve alcohol to be consumed within the licensed establishment – think bars, restaurants, breweries, etc.

Continue Reading

AACEA Montana: Q&A For Montana Liquor License Holders – What Can I Legally Sell At My Establishment?

If you are planning to open an establishment in Montana State that will sell or serve alcohol, it will be helpful for you to know what alcoholic products you are legally permitted to sell or serve, depending on which alcohol license you decide to apply for.

This information will also be useful if you already own an establishment that sells or serves alcohol in Montana State and could use a little refresher, or if you are a customer hoping to find out where you can purchase certain alcoholic products!

Please see some helpful and common Q&A’s regarding this topic below!

Can I sell a keg to go at my establishment in Montana?

It depends on which Montana Alcohol License you hold. If your establishment has an on-premises license you can sell kegs to go! However, if your establishment has a beer or wine license you can only sell alcohol to be consumed by the drink within your establishment to customers who order food.

Continue Reading

Servers & Bartenders – How to Prevent Customers from Drinking and Driving in Utah

In Utah State it is illegal to serve alcohol to someone to the point of intoxication. In other words, you are not allowed to get your customers drunk or to serve alcohol to a customer who is already drunk!

This should be simple, right?

Unfortunately, it can be difficult at times to determine if a customer has gone past their limit or are near the point of intoxication if they are naturally good at hiding obvious signs of intoxication (some people are professional alcoholics, after all) or if they had consumed a few drinks prior to entering your establishment.

In the instance you do come across a drunk customer (whether you are responsible for their inebriated state or not), you may be called upon to use your persuasive skills to sway them from attempting to drive home in their drunken stupor.

Continue Reading

The Keys To Customer Observation For Texas Alcohol Servers

In Texas State it is illegal to sell or serve alcohol to someone who is intoxicated, and observing customers for signs of intoxication is a server’s best course of action for preventing alcohol from being served or sold to an intoxicated customer.

Let’s review some Keys to Customer Observation for preventing alcohol sales and service to intoxicated individuals below!

Keys to Customer Observation for Alcohol Servers

  1. First thing’s first, always pay attention to how your customers look!
    • Are their eyes red and watery?
    • Do they look overly tired?
    • Are they looking a little disheveled? (e.g. tussled hair, untied shoes, untucked shirts, etc.)
    • Do they smell strongly of alcohol?
  2. Next, observe what your customers are doing!
    • Are they struggling to keep themselves balanced when standing still?
    • Has walking become a challenge for them?
    • Do they slur their words when they speak?
    • Are they being overly loud or excited?
    • Are they taking frequent trips to the restroom?
  3. Then, observe how your customers are reacting to various stimuli.
    • When you ask them a question, does it take them a long time to formulate an answer?
    • Do they respond to your questions slowly and with great effort?
    • Are they giggling or laughing at your jokes in an overly-animated way?
  4. Lastly, keep tabs on how much alcohol has been purchased or consumed by your customers!
    • This shouldn’t be your only method for determining a customer’s level of intoxication since they will often begin drinking at home or in another establishment before frequenting yours, but counting drinks can still provide you with a general idea of where a customer may be at on the BAC scale!

Continue Reading

AACEA Oregon: Series - Most Common Oregon Liquor Licenses: Learn About the Full On-Premises Sales (F) License!

If you’re planning to open up an establishment that will sell or serve alcohol, you’re going to want to know which Oregon Liquor License will suit your vision best before beginning the application process!

We're putting together a series about various OLCC Liquor Licenses, but in this post we’re going to specifically talk about the Full On-Premises Sales (F) License.

Question: What sort of establishment would a Full On-Premises Sales (F) License be best for?

Answer: Full On-Premises Sales (F) Licenses work well for fine dining restaurants, neighborhood/family restaurants, nightclubs, hotels, and private clubs.

The F license is great for establishments that plan to sell hard liquor (distilled spirits), beer, wine, and cider by the drink for customers to consume within the grounds of the establishment. In other words, this license does not permit your customers to take drinks to go UNLESS your business also has an Off-On-Premises Sales license.

The only two exceptions to this rule are:

  1. Your customers can take a partially consumed bottle of wine home with them if it was served during their meal.
  2. Your customers can purchase beer to take home with them as long as it is dispensed in a securely covered container (growler) that the customer provides.

Continue Reading

More Articles ...

Louisiana Bar Card and Washington State MAST permit. Arizona Title 4 Basic Training Online AZ DLLC Alcohol Server Approved Certification Course California Responsible Beverage Service RBS TIPS Certificate Program On Off Premises ABC Florida Vendor State Compliant Montana Ohio Seller For Sellers Servers Bartenders and Managers Get your TABC Certification for selling serving alcohol in Texas Your official can be printed online upon completion Utah Mobile Friendly valid Bartender School on off premise server training permit classes by Len Riggs

© 2016 America's Alcohol Certified Education Association All Rights Reserved | Email Us | TF: 888.865.1900 | P: 425.335.3672