Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions:

NOTE: This course is only offered in English

1) What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express

2) What if I do not have a credit card?
In addition to the above credit cards, we also accept MasterCard and Visa Debit Cards as well as prepaid cards (these can be purchased at many grocery stores).

3) Is your site secure?
Yes, our website has a secure SSL Certificate. This certificate ensures secure transactions between our web server and your browser, which allows for private information to be transmitted securely.

4) Do I need to take the whole course in one sitting?
No, you do not need to take the entire course at one time. You may take as many breaks as you would like throughout the course. Just make sure you log out prior to exiting out of the course. Note: Your progress automatically saves every time you complete a module section.

5) What should I do if I begin to experience technical difficulties while taking the online program?
If you experience any technical difficulties while taking our course please first click on the “help tab” and “system requirements” tab under the help menu. If you continue to experience technical difficulties please call us at 888-865-1900 or 425-335-3672. We are open Monday-Friday from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM PST.

6) Is audio required to take this course?
Yes. Our program consists of mainly videos. It is necessary for you to hear the videos in order to learn the course material and thus complete/pass the course.

7) I don’t have a printer so I will be unable to print out my Certification Card directly after I pass the final exam. What should I do?
You may log back onto your account any time after you pass the final exam to print out your Certification Card.

8) Which browsers are compatible with your program?
Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome, and Opera are all compatible with our online program.

9) Who needs to take this course?
All servers, managers, bartenders, or persons who supervise persons who serve alcohol in on-premise license locations.

10) I just got hired for a new job. How long do I have to get my training?
Any new employee hired needs to complete an Alcohol Training and Education Seminar within 30 days of their hire date.

11) How long does the class take?
All classes either by Internet or classroom must be a minimum of 3 hours in Utah State.

12) What if I don’t pass the Final Exam?
Once the course is completed, you are required to pass a final examination with a score of at least 70%. The Final exam consists of 21 multiple choice questions. If you do not achieve a score of 70% or higher you will be required to re-take the entire course before re-taking the final exam.

13) How long will my Certification Card be valid?
The Certification Card is valid for three years from the date it is issued.
To maintain certification you must attend the full Alcohol Training and Education Seminar every three years.

14) What are the legal ages to serve alcoholic beverages in Utah?
Any employee handling alcoholic beverages must be twenty one years of age or older. Servers of alcohol must wear a unique identification badge showing the employee's first name, initials, or a number assigned by the employer.

15) What signs must I display if my establishment sells alcohol?
The Health / DUI Warning sign consists of two messages, each of which must be in a different font. The color of the print does not have to be red, and the sign does not have to be white, but it has to be easily readable and posted in a prominent place in the licensed premises.

State law requires stores that sell beer for off-premise consumption to display all beer products in an “area that is visibly separate and distinct” from the area where nonalcoholic beverages are displayed and to post a sign that reads: “These beverages contain alcohol. Please read the label carefully.”

16) What is drink equivalency?
This refers to a 1.5 fluid ounce drink of distilled spirits, 5 fluid ounces of wine, and 12 fluid ounces of beer or wine cooler as having the same amount of ethyl alcohol.

17) Can a server of alcohol provide an alcoholic beverage to someone who is intoxicated?
No. It is illegal to give, sell or otherwise provide an alcoholic product to an individual who is under 21 years of age.

18) What are acceptable forms of identification to accept as proof-of-age?

  1. Valid driver's license issued by any U.S. State.
  2. An official state issued identification card
  3. Military identification card
  4. U.S. Armed Forces I.D. Card
  5. Official Passport or Passport Card

Some unacceptable forms of identification include a birth certificate, University ID (even though it has a date of birth and picture), and a driving privilege card. In essence, if you request an ID, and the ID is not one of the five acceptable forms for identification, you may not serve or sell alcohol to that individual.


19) What is the legal drinking age in Utah?
You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase, possess, or be provided with any alcoholic beverage. Acceptable forms of identification include: a valid passport, a valid driver's license or military identification card with a date of birth and a photo, or an official state issued identification card.

20) Where can I buy packaged alcoholic beverage products to go?
All packaged liquor, wine and full-strength beer must be purchased from a Utah state liquor store or a package agency. There are 41 state stores (including three specialty wine stores) and 111 smaller package agencies. Some hotels and resorts have package agencies to accommodate their guests through room service. For a complete list of all store and package agency locations, click here. Beer (with 3.2% alcohol content by weight) in bottles or cans may be purchased to go at most grocery and convenience stores in Utah.

21) Where can I buy a cocktail, a glass of wine, or a beer in Utah?
Liquor, wine, full-strength beer, and beer (3.2% alcohol) are available by the glass at licensed restaurants and clubs. Wine is also available by the bottle in these establishments. Beer may also be purchased in many places that have a "beer only" type license. These include taverns, beer bars, smaller restaurants or cafes, snack bars, etc.

Alcohol beverage service in a licensed restaurant requires that you order food with your drink, that your beverage be delivered to your table or counter by your server, and that you consume your drink at or near the table or counter.

Alcohol beverage service in a club does not require that you order food. Full bar service and table service are both available. Persons under the age of 21 are not allowed in the lounge or bar area of a club.

Beer service in "beer only" establishments does not require that you order food. Note, however, that persons under the age of 21 years may not be on the premises of certain "beer only" establishments such as taverns, beer bars, nightclubs, or cabarets.

22) What is a "club"?
A “club" is a type of liquor license in Utah that provides full alcoholic beverage service at bar or table with or without an order of food. Most are either “social clubs” – bars or nightclubs with dancing and live music; or “dining clubs” - restaurants with bars. Other types of clubs are equity and fraternal clubs. There is no membership required to patronize a dining or social “club”.

Persons under the age of 21 years may not be on the premises of a social club, but may be in the dining area of a dining club if accompanied by a person who is 21 years of age or older. However, state law prohibits minors on the premises of the lounge or bar area of any club.

23) Are there restrictions on consuming alcoholic beverages in public places?
Yes. State law prohibits consuming liquor in a public building, park, stadium, or on a public bus. A person may not be intoxicated in a public place to a degree as to endanger himself or another, or unreasonably disturb others. Consuming or having an open container of alcohol in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle is prohibited. Also, as a general rule, a person may not bring an alcoholic beverage onto the premises of an establishment open to the general public if it is to be consumed on the premises.

There are some exceptions to these state laws:

  • First, you may have an open container of alcohol in the trunk of a motor vehicle so long as it is not accessible to the driver or passenger area of the vehicle.
  • Second, you may, with the permission of the proprietor, bring bottled wine into a licensed restaurant or club to be served by the staff of the establishment. This exception does not apply if the establishment does not have a liquor license.
  • Third, you may bring alcoholic beverages and consume them in a limousine or chartered bus under certain restrictions. For example, the driver of a limousine must be separated from the passengers by a partition, and the limousine's service must begin and end at the passenger's hotel, temporary domicile, or residence. On a chartered bus, you may consume alcoholic beverages on the way to your destination and on return, only if you are dropped off at your hotel, temporary domicile, or residence at the end of the trip. If you are dropped off at a location where you will likely have to drive to get back to your hotel or home, then alcohol may not be consumed in the chartered bus on the return trip.
  • Note that local city, town or county laws may further restrict consumption of alcoholic beverages in public places. For example, a Park City law prohibits drinking beer or liquor, or possessing an open container of such beverages on a public street. A Salt Lake City ordinance says that no person shall open, possess, or consume an alcoholic beverage in a public place such as a street, sidewalk, alley, etc. unless a permit has been issued by the City to allow possession or consumption in the area (i.e. for a special event). These ordinances may be subject to change, so you should contact local officials for the latest updates.

24) Who enforces the alcoholic beverage laws in Utah?
These laws are enforced by the state's Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Criminal Investigation, and by law enforcement agencies of local jurisdictions such as city police departments or county sheriff offices. These agencies have the authority to confiscate alcohol, issue citations, close events, and pursue criminal charges against those found to be in violation of Utah's laws.

The Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (DABC) is not a law enforcement agency. It is primarily a retailer of alcohol through its state liquor stores and package agencies. It also issues licenses and permits to restaurants, clubs, and beer establishments (other than grocery and convenience stores), and organizers of temporary events. Even though the DABC is not a police agency, it is an excellent resource if you have questions concerning Utah's alcoholic beverage laws.

25) May I bring alcoholic beverages into Utah?
No. Under Utah law "alcoholic beverages" include all hard liquor, spirits, wine and beer. Beer and other malt beverage products that exceed 3.2% alcohol by weight or 4.0% by volume are considered "liquor", and beer with an alcohol content of 3.2% or less is defined as "beer".

Utah is a “control state”, and only the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (DABC) may lawfully have liquor products imported and shipped into Utah. Private individuals may not lawfully import or transport them into the state. Manufacturers and suppliers of these products may only supply them to the DABC. Only the DABC through its state liquor stores, package agencies, licensees and permittees may sell liquor products in Utah. Possession of liquor products not purchased from the DABC is strictly prohibited. Also, licensed restaurants and clubs cannot allow patrons to bring wines onto the premises if they were not purchased in Utah. Other Utah laws prohibit the unlawful importation of beer products into Utah.

There are very few exceptions to these laws. A person coming from a foreign country who clears U.S. customs in Utah may possess, for personal consumption, two liters of liquor purchased outside of Utah. Also, a person who moves his permanent residence to Utah or maintains separate residences both in and out of Utah, may possess for personal consumption, and not for sale or resale, liquor purchased outside of Utah. However, the person must first obtain DABC approval prior to moving to Utah; and upon the arrival of the product, the DABC will charge a nominal handling fee. A person may not obtain approval from the DABC under this exception more than once. A person may possess for personal consumption, and not for sale or resale, liquor inherited as part of an estate that is located outside the state and brought it into Utah, after obtaining the approval from the DABC and paying the required administrative handling fee.

Finally, accredited foreign diplomatic missions that establish a mission presence in Utah may ship, possess and purchase alcoholic beverages under certain exceptions granted under the Vienna Conventions on Diplomatic and Consular Relations.

Unless one of these exceptions applies, it is clear you may not bring alcoholic beverages into Utah for any purpose whether it be for personal consumption, to serve at a private social function, or to give or sell to others.

26) May our organization include alcoholic beverages in our shipping containers, and have them shipped to Utah?
No. It is illegal for anyone other than the DABC to ship alcoholic beverages into Utah.

>> More information on privately hosted events hosted by accredited foreign diplomatic missions.

27) Our organization already owns alcoholic beverages. May we bring them into Utah if we are willing to pay the additional mark-up and taxes?
No. Utah law requires that all alcoholic beverages be purchased from the state through one of its authorized outlets.

28) May an alcoholic beverage company that is sponsoring an organization or event , donate its alcoholic beverage products for use in Utah?
No. Utah law prohibits a member of the alcoholic beverage industry from:

  • Giving away any of its alcoholic products to any person
  • Serving its products as part of a promotion of its products at a private social event
  • Offering its products to the general public without charge; or
  • Contributing to a civic or community event if the contribution is given to influence a retailer in the selection of alcoholic beverage products sold at the activity or event. The sponsor may donate money to your organization, and hope that you buy their products. But the sponsor cannot buy the products for your organization, or condition its donation on you buying its products

29) How can I get the wines or liquor that I want to serve in Utah during an event?
Utah's state liquor and wine stores have excellent selections of wines, spirits, and full-strength beers. The DABC keeps the stores well-stocked. However, if you want a product that DABC does not normally carry, or that is rare and somewhat difficult to obtain, you may special order it in advance. The DABC will accommodate your needs by ordering a product from any source that can legally sell it to them. Foreign products must be available through a U.S. importer.

A wide variety of beers (3.2% alcohol), including some from local micro-breweries, are available in most grocery stores in Utah.

30) May I furnish, sell and serve alcoholic beverages to my own guests at group events? If so, what kind of permits will I need?
Yes. You and your guests can be accommodated several ways.

  • Single event permits

If you want to sell liquor (distilled spirits, wine, flavored malt beverages, and full-strength beer) at your event (i.e. a "cash bar", or alcohol "included in the price of admission" situations), or your event will be open to the general public, you must obtain a state single event permit from the DABC. There are some limitations associated with these permits:

  • They need to be applied for in well in advance because the DABC Commission only issues them once a month at its regular meeting.
  • They are only available to bona fide corporations, partnerships, limited liability corporations, incorporated associations, churches, and political organizations that have been in existence for at least one year prior to the date of application. They are also available to recognized subordinate lodges, chapters, or other local units of these entities.
  • Qualifying organizations may apply for a permit type that allows either:
    • Up to 4 permits per calendar year for a time period that that does not exceed 120 consecutive hours (5 days) for each permit; or
    • Up to 12 permits per calendar year for a time period that does not exceed 72 consecutive hours each (3 days) for each permit.
  • Each permit costs $125.00; requires you to get the written consent of the local jurisdiction where the event will be held; and that you obtain a $1000 cash or surety bond in the amount of $1000.00 for the duration of the event.
  • Temporary special event beer permits

If you only want to sell beer at your event, you will need a state temporary special event beer permit. Temporary event permits for the sale of beer (3.2%) are issued by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission for on-premise consumption at a temporary event that does not last longer than 30 days. Permits are issued by the commission once a month. Application must be made by the 10th of each month.. Each permit costs $100, requires you to get the written consent of the local jurisdiction where the event will be held; and that you obtain a $1,000 cash or surety bond in the amount of $1,000.00 for the duration of the event.

  • Privately hosted events

If you do not charge your guests for the alcoholic beverages and do not charge for admission to an event where alcohol is provided (i.e. a "hosted bar"), and your event is not open to the general public, then you will not need a permit from the DABC or from a local jurisdiction to serve liquor and beer at your event. State law requires no permit for a "privately hosted event or private social function" which is defined as:

"A specific social, business, or recreational event for which an entire room, area, or hall has been leased or rented, in advance by an identified group, and the event or function is limited in attendance to people who have been specifically designated and their guests." [It] does not include events or functions to which the general public is invited, whether for an admission fee or not."

Group events in restaurants or clubs. If you hold your event on the premises of a licensed restaurant or club, you have the choice of having the establishment serve your guests alcohol under the restaurant's or club's own license from their own alcoholic beverage inventory. Of course, all of the laws relating to alcoholic beverage service in restaurants and clubs would apply. Or, you could choose to lease or rent all or a portion of the restaurant or club for the day or night, and then sell liquor and beer you have separately purchased for your group under a single event permit and temporary beer permit. Or you could furnish your alcohol to your guests without charge under the "privately hosted event" or social function exception. Either way, the restaurant or club will likely charge your group a "set-up" or "corkage fee" for each bottle of alcohol opened on its premises.

Group events in unlicensed locations. If you lease space at a location that has no alcoholic beverage license, you must either obtain a single event permit and temporary beer permit to sell alcohol to your group, or conduct the event under the "privately hosted event" exception and furnish the alcohol to your private guests without charge.

31) If I rent a building under the name of my organization, or my own name, for use as a hospitality house or center, may I serve alcoholic beverages?
Yes. Again, you may sell liquor and beer under a single event permit issued by the state DABC, or beer under a temporary special event beer permit issued by the local jurisdiction. Or you may furnish alcoholic beverages without charge to your private guests without a permit.

32) May we operate our hospitality house or center without a permit under the "privately hosted event" exception if we have a limited guest list, but the house or center is open for the entire day, and our guests may come and go as they please?
Yes, as long as admission is limited to those on your guest list and their guests, and the house or center is not open to the general public.

33) Can our organization host an event at a private residence without a permit?
Yes, if you comply with the requirements of the "privately hosted event" exception.

34) If I serve alcoholic beverages under the "privately hosted event" exception, does Utah impose any restrictions on the hours of serving alcoholic beverages?
If the event is held on the premises of a club or tavern, no alcoholic beverages are allowed to be consumed after 1 a.m. and before 10 a.m. The State of Utah does not impose any limitation on when alcoholic beverages may be served at privately hosted events in other locations. However, local ordinances may restrict noise levels, etc. after certain hours.

35) If our group hires a caterer to provide all food and beverages, may we have them obtain the permits and purchase the alcohol for us?
No. If you choose to sell alcoholic beverages under a single event permit or beer under a temporary beer permit, your organization is responsible for getting your own permit(s). A caterer may assist you in getting the permit, but the caterer may not hold the permit in its own name. Also, caterers in Utah are not licensed or authorized to sell or resell alcoholic beverages. However, a caterer may purchase alcoholic beverages as your group's agent with monies advanced to them by the group.

Certain on-premise caterers at hotels, resorts, convention centers, or sports arenas may hold an on-premise banquet and catering license. If so, alcohol may be provided for contracted banquets under the manner of service of a cash bar, hosted bar or at a meal function (such as a dinner) where the drinks may be paid for by your guests or you may run a tab for the entire group, and pay for the alcoholic beverages at the end of the function.

36) May I purchase beer in kegs so that I can serve beer on draft rather than in bottles or cans?
Utah has a keg beer law that prohibits anyone other than a licensed beer retailer from possessing beer (3.2%) in containers larger than two liters. Thus, if you want to serve beer on draft, you will have to obtain a temporary beer permit from the local government entity where you plan to sell and serve the beer. Once you obtain the permit, you may purchase beer in kegs from a local Utah beer wholesaler.

Utah law limits the sale of full strength (heavy) beer to bottles and cans not exceeding one (1) liter. Thus, the State does not stock or sell heavy beer in kegs, and full strength beer may not be dispensed on draft.

Accredited foreign diplomatic missions may possess and dispense their own heavy beer from kegs under certain restrictions.


Utah Alcohol Seller Server Training Online Certification Course Mobile Friendly State Approved Print Card Bartending School pass the exam TIPS valid in Alcoholic Beverage approved alcohol training and certification course Get your online of Certificate solutions for regulatory agencies food service industry servers on-premise off-premise requirements server card