Online Alcohol Server Training

Choose Your State

MAST permit

AACEA Washington: Basic Washington State Alcohol Laws You Need To Know!

Curious about Washington State’s alcohol laws? There are a ton! But we’ve curated some basic great-to-know laws below for anyone interested:

How old do I need to be in Washington State to bartend?


How old do I need to be in Washington State to serve alcohol as waitstaff?


How old do I need to be in Washington State to conduct alcohol tastings?


How old do I need to be in Washington State to enter a bar?


AACEA Washington: Class 12 And Class 13 MAST Permit Replacements & Upgrades

Replacing Your MAST Permit:

Unfortunately, it can be way too easy to lose, wash, or otherwise damage your MAST Permit to the point of being unrecognizable. Even though MAST Permits are made out of a thick paper, it’s still paper and is consequentially vulnerable against the elements. MAST Permit tragedies happen fairly often, so please don’t beat yourself up about it if you have fallen victim.

Lucky for you, we are happy to offer replacement permits! The only catch is we can only replace permits for students who took our Online MAST Permit Program and received their MAST Permit from us. (Sorry, we don’t make the rules!)

AACEA Washington: MAST Permit Helpful Info & FAQs

If you’re in the market for a Class 12 MAST Permit or a Class 13 MAST Permit you may have some questions, so we thought we would put a list of some FAQs together for you! If you don’t give a hoot about the FAQs and just want to get your Online MAST Training taken care of, you are welcome to do that too!

For those of you who are still with us, check out some helpful FAQ answers below:

Do I really have to get a MAST Permit? If you serve, mix, or sell alcohol in Washington State, then yes you do. We know it’s not ideal and we know it sucks to have to spend your free time taking a "boring" course about alcohol laws, BUT we promise our course isn’t so bad. Our founder was a stand-up comedian back in the day, so you can bet there is some humor in our MAST course which will hopefully make it a little more enjoyable for you!

Fiiiiiine, I’ll take the course. I just got hired, when do I have to get my MAST Permit?In Washington State you need to take a MAST Permit Course within 60 days of your hire date.

AACEA Washington: Washington Alcohol Training – What is a MAST Permit & Why Might I Need One?

Several U.S. states require some form of Alcohol Server + Seller Education for anyone and everyone who serves, mixes, or sells alcohol. Washington State officially made this a requirement in 1995 when legislature passed a law requiring that everyone who served alcoholic beverages needed to complete a state certified Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) course and receive a MAST Permit.

The WSLCB (Washington State Liquor Cannabis Board, formerly known as the Washington State Liquor Control Board), facilitates the MAST program, but private companies (like yours truly) provide the MAST Course and issue MAST Permits to those who need them. Becoming certified as a Washington State MAST Program Provider requires a stamp of approval from the WSLCB which only happens after the WSLCB reviews a course and confirms that it has met each of the MAST Program requirements.

AACEA Washington: What Are Acceptable Forms of Identification For Alcohol Sales & Service In Washington State?

It is guaranteed that if you serve or sell alcohol in Washington State you’re going to find yourself checking a whole lotta IDs! This means you’re going to come across several different styles of IDs, but not all IDs are acceptable to use for alcohol transactions.

The first step you’ll need to take when a customer hands you their ID is to make sure it is considered an acceptable form of identification per the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) for confirming someone’s age. This is important, because if you accept and check an unacceptable form of ID for someone and then serve or sell them alcohol you can get in BIG trouble! Especially if you find out that person deceived you and was not actually 21 or older!

Below is a list of the WSLCB approved forms of identification that are considered acceptable for the purpose of selling, serving, or purchasing alcohol in Washington State:

  1. U.S. Driver’s License
  2. U.S. Instruction Permit
  3. U.S. ID Card
  4. Canadian Province Driver’s License
  5. Canadian Province Instruction Permit
  6. Canadian Province ID Card
  7. U.S. Armed Forces ID Card
  8. Merchant Marine I.D. Card
  9. Official Passport or Passport Card
  10. Washington State Tribal Enrollment Card

AACEA Washington: What Is The Difference Between A Class 12 & Class 13 MAST Permit?

If you need a Class 12 or Class 13 Washington MAST Permit, AACEA Washington makes it easy for you to get certified online. But before you get started, you may be wondering what the difference is between a Class 13 MAST Permit and a Class 12 MAST Permit.

We would be happy to help break this down for you!

Class 13 Washington MAST Permit

If you are between 18-20 years of age you are eligible for a Class 13 MAST Permit which will allow you to perform the following tasks:

  • Take alcohol orders
  • Carry alcohol to a customer’s table and pour it into their glass

New Food Service Requirements for Restaurants That Serve Alcohol

While food service violations are not among the most common violations, restaurants should be aware of the food service requirements for their liquor license type.

The WSLCB this fall adopted new food requirements for spirits, beer and wine restaurants. Highlights: * Expanded items that are considered an entrée to include hamburgers, salads, sandwiches, pizza and breakfast items as long as they include a side dish. * Entrees do not include snack items, menu items which consist solely of precooked frozen food that is reheated, or carry-out items obtained from other businesses. * Increased the number of complete meals required from four to eight. A complete meal is an entrée (steak, fish, pasta, etc.) and at least one side dish (soup, vegetables, salad, potatoes, french fries, rice, fruit, and bread). * Restaurants must serve complete meals for five hours a day, five days a week between the hours of 8 a.m. and 11 p.m. Previously, the hours were between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m.

Restaurants having problems meeting their food service requirement should look into the new spirits, beer and wine nightclub liquor license, which is for businesses that primarily provide live entertainment and serve alcohol with main hours between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. The license does not have a food requirement.

Available resources Restaurants should take advantage of the following resources: * Written business policies that describe expectations and how to handle various situations should be developed, and regularly shared with employees. * Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) is required by law for managers, bartenders and other employees who serve or supervise the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption. * WSLCB Responsible Alcohol and Tobacco Sales classes are offered regularly around the state by WSLCB enforcement officers. Class schedules. * WSLCB website has information on selling responsibly and public safety laws, educational videos and more. * WSLCB enforcement officers are available to help you understand liquor laws. Enforcement Customer Service: (360) 664-9878

In conclusion, restaurants can contribute to public safety and keep their customers safe by carrying out their work in a way that supports Washington's liquor laws.

AACEAprovides alcohol server training which promotes responsible service and sales of alcohol. To get your alcohol servers permit in Washington visit

Louisiana Bar Card and Washington State MAST permit. Arizona Title 4 Basic Training Online AZ DLLC Alcohol Server Approved Certification Course California Responsible Beverage Service RBS TIPS Certificate Program On Off Premises ABC Florida Vendor State Compliant Montana Ohio Seller For Sellers Servers Bartenders and Managers Get your TABC Certification for selling serving alcohol in Texas Your official can be printed online upon completion Utah Mobile Friendly valid Bartender School on off premise server training permit classes by Len Riggs

© 2016 America's Alcohol Certified Education Association All Rights Reserved | Email Us | TF: 888.865.1900 | P: 425.335.3672