AACEA Florida: Becoming A Responsible Vendor – Benefits Of Florida Alcohol Server Training
Several U.S. States require that anyone whose job involves administering alcohol transactions with customers must complete some form of Responsible Alcohol Sales and Service Training. The logic behind this is that the knowledge and skills received from an alcohol server training course will empower waitstaff and bartenders to make decisions that will ensure public safety and prevent alcohol related tragedies from occurring.
If you serve or sell alcohol in Florida State, we recommend taking a Florida Responsible Vendor Alcohol Server Training Course in order to get a Responsible Vendor Certificate, which is similarly known as a “Florida Bartending License” or “Florida “Alcohol License”.
If you own or manage an establishment that serves or sells alcohol, we highly recommend taking the necessary steps to become a Florida Responsible Vendor in order to protect your establishment, staff, and the general public. We have provided the qualifications for becoming a Responsible Vendor in Florida below:
In order to become a qualified Responsible Vendor in Florida, you must:
1) Require that all employees complete a Florida Responsible Vendor Alcohol Server Training Course which covers the below topics:
- Florida alcohol laws & alcohol service laws
- The physical and psychological effects of alcohol
- The impact of alcohol on driving
- The effects of alcohol when mixed with drugs
- Strategies for handling underage customers
- Strategies for handling employees and customers who are involved with illegal drugs
2) Require that all managers complete a Florida Responsible Vendor Alcohol Server Training Course which covers the below topics (in addition to the above bulleted topics):
- How to develop a standard operating procedure for handling underage customers and customers/employees who are involved with illegal drugs
- Strategies for assisting employees in handling underage customers and properly documenting incidents
3) Require that all employees complete a Florida Responsible Vendor Server Training Course within 30 days of employment and ensure employees are supervised until they receive their training.
4) Require that all managers complete a Managerial Florida Responsible Vendor Training Course within 15 days of employment.
5) Schedule a meeting with all employees every four months to review the topics presented in the Florida Responsible Vendor Training Course and to review the establishment’s policies and procedures.
6) Require each employee to complete a written questionnaire which provides you with the same information that is required when applying for an alcohol beverage license in order to confirm the employee is qualified to serve or sell alcohol.
7) Establish a policy that immediately dismisses (fires) any employee who engages in the illegal use of controlled substances while at the establishment, and require all employees to acknowledge this policy upon employment.
8) Maintain records of employee Responsible Vendor Training dates and signed policies (such as the policy stated above).
9) Post signs at your establishment which signify policies against serving and selling alcohol to underage customers.
There are several benefits that come with choosing to be a Florida Responsible Vendor, which include reducing the likelihood of you, your establishment, or your employees from getting into legal trouble, and keeping your customers and the general public safe. Not to mention, the more information and knowledge your employees have, the more confident they will feel if and when they find themselves in a precarious situation regarding the sales & service of alcohol.
We hope this information was helpful and we welcome you to check out our Online Florida Responsible Vendor Course whenever and wherever is most convenient for you!
Cheers, and Happy Training!